News‎ > ‎

Valentia defeat Rangers in Round 2 of South Kerry League

posted 11 Mar 2013, 05:50 by Unknown user   [ updated 11 Mar 2013, 05:51 ]
Skellig Rangers: 0-09 Valentia: 2-05

Wet, windy and greasy, the only way to describe the conditions in Portmagee on Sunday last for round 2 of the South Kerry league. Valentia's opening campaign against St Marys ended in a draw a week earlier, while Skellig Rangers took a win from their encounter with Waterville. This division of the league is made up of teams competing in Division 5, division 3, division 2 and division 1 of the county league. No team can be fairly judged at this early stage of the year as cobwebs are dusted down in preparation for the opening round of the county league on the weekend of March 23rd.

Rangers started off the stronger and after winning the toss elected to play with the wind in the opening half. Valentia opened the scoring with a pointed free by returnee Paul O'Connor lining out at full forward, but it was Rangers that took full advantage of having the wind at their backs with four points. Comedian Bernard Casey pointed on all four occasions with two from play and two frees.  Stevie O'Connor added one for the Island from play in the thirteenth minute before Rangers went on another rampage and added three more points, Casey again with one free and one from play while midfielder Aidan O'Sullivan added one from play on the twenty minute mark. Before the half time whistle Aaron Quigley added a point from play to leave four points between the sides. Rangers 0-07 to Valentia's 0-03. Valentia had several scoring chances but the wind in the bottom goal was proving too difficult to get a handle on.

The second half was sluggish for both sides with both teams missing important scoring chances, Valentia missing on seven occasions while the home side had a tally of six wides.  Paul O'Connor once again opened the scoring with a pointed free and brought the Island within three points. Paul Curtin entered the game for Raymond Lyne at corner forward. Rangers first score of the second half  came when Micheal O'Sullivan sent a long ball in high around the square where Brian Murphy pointed after eighteen minutes on the clock. It all went quiet for the next quarter of an hour with neither teams being any way successful with the uprights. Stephen O'Sullivan of Ardcost playing at corner back found himself in a position to add another point for the home side and take the lead to five points and only minutes left on the clock. It looked like the home side were going to be comfortable winners and keep their position at the top of the league. When Aaron Quigley was fouled inside the square on the twenty sixth minute and Valentia were awarded a penalty, everything changed. Paul O'Connor stepped up against goalie Paudie O'Sullivan and goaled with confidence. Suddenly there was only a two point lead for the Rangers and twenty seven minutes on the clock. Just prior to the penalty young Ciaran O'Donoghue replaced James Lynch and took up position at corner forward.  In the same minute as said penalty Stevie O'Connor  pointed from play and Valentia were now trailing by a single point. The excitement was paramount and no one knew for sure how long was left on Mike Curran's watch, but that didn't matter to Ciaran O'Donoghue who kicked the ball in the direction of the goal and caught Paudie O'Sullivan short, as the ball landed in the top corner of the net. Only seconds left and Rangers suddenly found themselves trailing for the first time since the opening minute of the game. The full time whistle blew and Valentia take their first victory of the season by two points.

Team & Scorers

Skellig Rangers:
Paudie O'Sullivan, Stephen O'Sullivan (0-01), Brian O'Sullivan Capt., Aaron O'Shea, Mike Keating, Shamus O'Sullivan, Gerard O'Sullivan, Stephen O'Sullivan (Glen), Aidan O'Sullivan (0-01), Alan Devane, Brian Hickey, Brian Murphy (0-01), Bernard Casey (0-05), Martin O'Sullivan, Michael O'Sullivan (0-1)

Richard Quigley, Ger O'Shea (Corobeg), John Daly, James Lynch, Aaron Quigley (0-01), Paul O'Sullivan, John Lynch, Brendan O'Sullivan, Ger O'Shea Capt., Stevie O'Connor (0-02), Junior Murphy, Sean O'Sullivan, Andy Quigley, Paul O'Connor (1-02), Raymond Lyne.