News‎ > ‎

Skellig begin the road to Croke Park with 8 point win over Dromid Pearses in Portmagee

posted 21 Apr 2013, 05:41 by Unknown user

by Micheal O'Sullivan Assistant PRO Skellig Rangers

The game, played in sunny but blustery conditions, began with a pointed free from Brian Hickey, followed by a huge kick from Mike Keating all of 50 yards out with the wind with him. Dromid Pearses first score of the game came midways through the half when Declan Sullivan burst through and kicked over from 30 yards out. Skellig went 0-4 to 0-1 up after two more points from Hickey again. Stephen O’ Sullivan added to the scoreboard for the home side when he kicked a majestic point from longe range much to the delight of the home fans. Skellig raced further clear with 5 mins in the half remaining when Martin O’ Sullivan flicked on a floating long ball from attacking wing back Mike Keating. Portmagee’s defence, Stephen and Shamus O’ Sullivan in particular, were proving stern and difficult to break down and this was evident in the scoreline at Half Time when the scoreline was 1-5 to 0-2. Despite Skellig being 6 points clear, they had kicked some wides in the opening half leaving Dromid still in contention for a comeback in the second half. Dromid were first on the scoreline when Micheal Sheehan kicked over from 25 yards. However, Skellig’s response was to come through Alan Devane(fisted point) and MartinO’ Sullivan driving over from 30 yards out. Declan Sullivan popped over a free but you sensed their fightback was to fall apart when Portmagee got a goal from a goalmouth scramble after a free kick from Ciaran Keating. Dromid got the last two scores of the game from Declan and Tomas Curran which made the scoreboard look 2-6 to 0-8. A good team performance which sees the team now progress to the quarter final against Waterville. Anyone interested in supporting the Skellig Rangers team can do so by playing our online lotto - click here to avail of our online facility. This weekend's jackpot is €2,350! Thank you for your support!