News‎ > ‎

Match report

posted 20 Apr 2014, 09:40 by Kissee Wardlaw   [ updated 20 Apr 2014, 09:42 ]
Skellig Rangers lost to John Mitchel's on Saturday evening last on  a scoreline 1-15 to 1-11, after extra time with very little between the sides. The venue, John Mitchel's new million euro complex in Ballyseedy hosted a true Championship affair, there was plenty thrills and spills, fine scores, black cards, tenacious defending and attacking threats from both sides. 
Played under the sun, Rangers faced into a slight breeze in the first half and gave a great account of themselves sticking tight with the Mitchel's men and all their play was going through Ciaran Keating who had the beating of his marker Brendan O' Mahony, even being doubled mark twice. Stephen O' Sullivan went off injured midway through the half and was replaced by Sean Courtney with Anthony Driscoll slotting into wing back. Alan Donoghoue and Ciaran exchanged points in a tense first half in which outstanding defending from Rangers ensured they only went in at half time 2 points down, 0-5 to 0-3.

The second half started spritely again with the relentless pace never wavering. Stephen O' Sullivan stormed through and kicked over but Mitchel's reply came from Niall Sheehy and Jamie Moriarty kicking over points. Despite Mitchel's winning the majority of breaks around midfield, Skellig still managed to attack and scored 2 more through Keating and Aidan O' Sullivan. Bernard Walsh having a tough job on Alan Donoghoue all day gave an example of defending all day and after powering through the Tralee side's defence he unfortunately couldnt finish the move with Mitchels retreating back into defence being able to clear. With the ferocious pace of the game substitutes were always going to be required with Craig Conway coming on for the home team and Bernard Casey replacing Micheal O' Sullivan. Casey pointed over a magnificent point with his left leg with minutes to remain to put his side in the lead but Mitchel's went straight down the field and equalised through Niall Sheehy free after being fouled. Full time ended level at 0-10 0-10. Into extra time, legs were beginning to tire after all players had given their all. The first half of extra time had Mitchels leading by a point with Ciaran Keating scoring a free after being dragged down yet again. Rangers started the second period quickly and a long ball in by Keating again broke to Aidan Dash O' Sullivan who booted the loose ball into the roof of the net to put Rangers 2 points clear. Skellig failed to consolidate their position and Mitchels rallied with 2 unanswered points and then came their lucky break with Niall Sheehy who was well marshalled by Shamus O' Sullivan flicking the ball into the net. Skellig rallied again but were against the clock and time ran out with Mitchels winning by 1-15 to 1-11.
Despite losing, a lot of positives can be taken from the game with Rangers defending strongly especially Bernard Walsh and Brian O' Sullivan, Stephen O' Sullivan and Brian Hickey were typically involved in the major attacks and Ciaran Keating gave a fantastic showing of being first to the ball and some classy scores by him. Rangers were supported good on the day but unfortunately couldn't deliver the win and now have to focus back on County League action in 2 weeks time.
Padraig O' Sullivan, Shamus O' Sullivan, Bernard Walsh, Brian Murphy, Stephen O' Sullivan, Ronan O' Shea, Brian O' Sullivan, Aidan O' Sullivan, Alan Devane, Brendan O' Sullivan, Brian Hickey, Anthony O' Driscoll, Micheal O' Sullivan, Ciaran Keating, Stephen O' Sullivan. Subs used: Bernard Casey, Diarmaid Keating, Mike Keating, Gerard O' Sullivan for Micheal O' Sullivan, Brendan O' Sullivan, Brian Murphy and Bernard Walsh(inj) respectively, Daniel O' Sullivan, Martin O' Sullivan, Brendan Keating, Brendan Keefe, Brendan Murphy, Aaron Shea, Brian O' Driscoll.