News‎ > ‎

Nail biting Finale sees Skellig Rangers over the line

posted 10 Dec 2012, 00:53 by Unknown user   [ updated 10 Dec 2012, 06:22 ]
 It was a crisp cold Con Keating Park on Sunday but that didn't stop both sets of players from Skellig Rangers and St.Michaels Foilmore serving up a cracking match. These sides know each other all too well but the starting line-ups were a bit different this time around with the Green and Red boasting 6 senior players while Portmagee were missing Declan O' Sullivan to work commitments and Gerard Walsh who is currently in New York due to work commitments.
The game started at a frenetic pace with Martin O' Sullivan slotting over the first point after a direct long ball in. St,Michaels failed to assert their dominance in the opening quarter with Rangers kicking over a free from the boot of Bernard Casey. Another long ball was to prove effective as Alan Devane booted a loose ball into the back of the net after a goalmouth scramble.There were some keenly contested battles in midfield most notably Padraig King and Gerard O' Sulivan and the breaking ball proved to be crucial as Portmagee with Colm Martin dominating the half forward line mopped up 4 loose balls and as a result had 3 scores on the board from their immaculate free taker Casey .Eventough there were some scrappy passages of play from both sides in the 1st half, Alan Devane showed a glimpse of brilliance with a superb point from close to the sideline. Damien Kelly slotted over for St.Michaels Foilmore 4 points down at this stage grabbed a lifeline as another goalmouth scramble left James Moran with the easy task of slotting past Padraig O' Sullivan.
HT score 1-6 to 1- 2.
As expected, after a lacklustre 1st half performance St.Michaels Foilmore came raring out of the blocks in the second half and kicked 4 unanswered points to level matters. Damien Kelly, Patrick O' Sullivan, Padraig King and Darragh O' Sullivan were all on target for St.Michaels which served up a tense finish. Martin O' Sullivan was drafted out to Midfield to compete with St.Michaels aerial dominance. With 5 minutes to go, St.Michaels were camped in Skellig Rangers half looking for the winning score but when Colm Martin was fouled , Bernard Casey stepped up and in typical fashion, kicked over a huge point that had Portmagee supportes ecstatic.With seconds remaining St.Michaels Foilmore couldn't get that score they so desperately needed and Skellig Rangers defended immensely with Padraig O' Sullivan punching clear a dangerous looking high ball in out to safety.
It was all about defence on the day for Skellig Rangers and no surprises the stand out players came from their backs with Mike Walsh marshalling his defence perfectly, Ronan O' Shea, who gave an exhibition in defending and Brendan Keating who slotted in perfectly for his first start in 3 months. Bernard Casey's scoring spree in free kicks proved crucial but Man of the Match goes to Colm Martin who worked tirelessly up and down the wing all day long and was a crucial link between defence and attack. Well done to all involved.
Written by Micheal O'Sullivan - Skellig Rangers.
We now face St. Mary's in the final next Saturday at 2pm. Venue to be confirmed. All support welcome!